Friday, May 11, 2007

Day 5: Kill Devil Hills



Photo gallery here

I spend the day at the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kill Devil Hills, NC. Took about 2.5 hours to get there, but worth the drive. I'd love to spend some summer time here on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It seems to be the place everyone comes to hang out on the beach.



The memorial consists of a 60-foot tall monument on top of a hill which overlooks the exact spot that the lads from Ohio flew their Wright Flyer including markers showing how far their first four flight went.




After touring the site, I took a drive further south to Nag's Head and walked out to the beach. It's amazing how different the two coasts are. In N.C., residents build their own fences and wooden platforms and stairs on what seems like public property. You can't do that in California - unless you live in Malibu and ignore the California Coastal Commission.



Photo gallery here

Observations from the day:
I spotted my first mullet today. Very exciting. It was in its native habitat too - riding shotgun in a Ford truck. I didn't get a good look at before it slipped out of sight, but I'm nearly positive it was the North Carolina species I've heard so much about. He was quick and flighty, but dag nabit, there it was.
Traffic in Norfolk sucks just as bad as L.A. There was a five mile backup getting back today through Norfolk. The radio people made it sound like an everyday occurrence.

Tomorrow: Colonial Jamestown as they celebrate their 400th anniversary tomorrow.

No comments: