Thursday, May 10, 2007
Day 4: The ghetto Sizzler
Photo gallery here
After getting my A/C working in my room (still no wi-fi) I took off for some dinner. I passed by a Golden Corral (a sort of ghetto version of a Sizzler). I had eaten at one years ago and thought it was pretty good. Boy have they changed. They're still ghetto, but now they're a buffet. All the other fat people and I lined up like cattle to get in, slap our $9 down for an all-you-can-eat extravaganza. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, steak, mac-n-cheese, salad, and anything else you could want. Finished it off with hot fudge ice cream. It was disgusting. Delicious, but gut-bustingly disgusting. There's nothing healthy in that place whatsoever. If I could swap the Torrance Souplantation for a Golden Corral, I'd do it in a second.
As if I wasn't full enough, I went across the street from the "Corral" to Pints and Pipes Scottish pub for a few Guinnesses. mmmmm. I played the electronic trivia game against some regulars and kicked their Confederate asses.
I'm glad I bought my ticket to Jamestown for Saturday because I found out that Pres. Bush is coming here for a visit on Sunday and it will be a traffic and access nightmare.
Observations from the day:
It's weird to walk into restaurants and bars and find people smoking. It's been so long since I've experienced that in California. Good news is that I can light up a big, fat cigar and enjoy my Guinness.
There are so many trees and wooded areas here. I think all the trees in the desert we call SoCal have been paved over with concrete.
I haven't seen a mullet hair cut yet, but plenty of people missing teeth.
Tomorrow: I'm driving down to North Carolina's Outer Banks and will visit Kill Devil Hills, the site of the Wright Brothers first flight. I spotted a Hooters in town tonight so guess where I'm having dinner tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson died in this house 144 years ago today
No comments:
Post a Comment